Features at a glance
- Resolves particle sizes in complex mixtures
- Simple, rapid operation, stable
- No calibration necessary, exact derivations
- Suitable for a wide range of sizes and densities
- Variety of operating modes
- External and internal gradient
- LINE or HOST start methods
- Successive sample injections allowed
- Stationary or scanning detector
- variable rotation speed
- Quantitative determination of weight distributions
- Optimize experimental conditions in advance
- Customizable analysis and reports
- Continuous monitoring of temperature
High Resolution Particle Size Analysis
The Brookhaven BI-DCP is a digitally controlled, high resolution, particle size distribution analyzer. It yields high resolution results in the size range from 0.01 to 30 microns with typical analysis times ranging from 5 to 30 minutes. The DCP software provides easy instrument control, data analysis, and database management. The software is menu-driven and permits a variety of report formats.
Brookhaven Instruments is renowned for light scattering instruments dedicated to sub-micron particle sizing and polymer characterization. Having identified the need to produce high resolution in the 1 micron size range, Brookhaven has produced an instrument with resolution unmatched by any other technique in this range. Sedimention is intrinsically a fractionation technique and the BI-DCP provides a means to separate the components of mixtures and also characterize a wide variety of distributions.
No other type of instrument can resolve several peaks in the difficult range around 1 micron.
The DCP incorporates a custom electronic drive system with high efficiency while operating quietly on your bench top. An integral strobe light is synchronized to the drive circuit for checking hydrodynamic stability of the sample. A sensor is used to monitor temperature in the disk. The BI-DCP offers the largest range of speeds, 500 to 15,000 rpm, which allows an even greater range of particle size measurements. A scanning detector head reduces measurement time.
Benefits of Use
An instrument is an investment in the present as well as in the future. The BI-DCP is truly cost-effective because it enables users to:
- Resolve complex particle size distributions to improve rheological and structural properties.
- Monitor incoming raw materials to reduce rework.
- Fingerprint finished products to minimize lot-to-lot variations.
- Increase cost effectiveness by reducing process and scale-up time.
- Optimize material properties to enhance product performance.
- Study particle size fundamentals to develop new products and processes.
Data Analysis and Presentation
The BI-DCP Data System is a flexible and powerful tool that provides complete analysis and management of DCP data.Compatible with the newest PC, the DCP programs are menu-driven to provide both automatic data acquisition and database management for the Bl-DCP particle size analyzer and other disc centrifuges . The system’s high resolution color display plots raw data in real time. Automatic and manual baseline selection, under the entire curve or peak-by-peak, and user-selectable extinction coefficient corrections are provided as are the uncorrected raw data. A color plotter provided with the system allows customized reports to be obtained
Reported results include.
- Number, Area, Weight average diameters and distribution widths.
- Polydispersity indices such as D w /D n and Std. Deviations.
- Overlays for comparison of distributions.
- Experimental conditions including run numbers, titles, and sample identifications.
- Raw data curve with base-line, differential and cumulative forms of the Number, Area, and Weight distributions.
A Database management facility includes: automatic data storage; menu-driven data retrieval (for review or reanalysis); and generation of tables of user-selectable results from the disk-based data for convenient comparison of runs.
The Bl-DCP Data System, including the interface hardware and cables, can be purchased separately for use with other disc centrifuges.